9/21/13

Breakfast

Research shows that people who eat breakfast are a healthier weight and have more nutritious diets than people who skip breakfast. Breakfast skippers tend to crave high-GI foods and develop sweet cravings later on in the day. They are more likely to binge eat at their next meal.
“Eating within 60 minutes of waking will kick start your metabolism.”


Breakfast means just that, breaking the fast from sleep time. When we are asleep, our metabolism is lowered, because the body is in a resting state. During this time, glucose stores are used up and your body is in a state of starvation. It is important for the starvation state to be broken in the morning. Eating within 60 minutes of waking will kick start your metabolism and keep it fired up for the rest of the day.
 
As a Runner I tend to eat a small bowl of cereal such as rice bubbles with added chi seeds soon after waking to kick start my metabolism and give myself some quick energy for my run or exercise session.  Then once I've done my earlier morning exercise I then have a "second" breakfast - egg whites and vegies, is one of my favourites!  This meal provides nutrition and restocks my energy levels so I can continue to be active throughout the day.